Brown Middle School

Admin

History of Brown Middle School

JB Brown Junior High School first opened for the 1967-68 school year. It was dedicated on Sunday, November 5, 1967, and it was was the first round school building in Hamilton County. Mr. Henry C. Colston was the school's first principal; Mr. W. Frank Conger was the school's first assistant principal.

The school is named for J.B. Brown who was a former teacher, principal, and superintendent in the Hamilton County School System. He served as superintendent for 3 months in 1903, and then from 1907-1913. Later he became the Tennessee State Superintendent of Schools and a trustee of the University of Tennessee.

JB Brown Portrait          dedication plaque

The school became a middle school in 1974, and the name was changed to Brown Middle School. 

Sources:
Brown Middle School 1999 Charger Yearbook
Wilson, John. “Browns Were Pioneers Of Waldens Ridge, Red Bank Sections.” Chattanoogan.com, 26 Apr. 2018,        <www.chattanoogan.com/2018/4/26/367380/Browns-Were-Pioneers-Of-Waldens-Ridge.aspx.>

All content © 2018 Hamilton County Schools. All rights reserved. | Privacy Notice | Website by School Messenger